Pages

Saturday, June 10, 2023

My Potted Succulents

 One of the planting beds I am doing this year is a desert garden.  Specifically, succulents with a couple of prickly pears who survived the big freeze.  I’m still working on setting up the bed but the succulents are ready to go.  Each has been repotted from their nursery pot I bought them in.

 

It is important to quickly repot succulents after you buy them.  Most from “big box” stores are in really bad moisture holding soil or are way too root bound.


 

This grouping has the same basic needs.  The tall one is Crassula Tetragona (Miniture Pine Tree because of its shape) and comes from South Africa.  The draping one is a Sedum Adolphii Firestorm.  It is a hybrid developed for its color.  And is the Echeveria "Cubic Frost".  Another hybrid bred for color.  Of course someday I’ll have to repot but I think it looks nice for now.

 

This is a “Money Plant” Jade, so named because the leaves remind some of coins.

 

Next is my Portulacaria Afra- aka Elephant Bush.  This one is destined to become trained into bonsai form.  For now it just needs to grow… a lot!  It comes from South Africa.

 

Here is a Kalanchoe.  They are easy to grow with pretty leaves and a red flower.  They come from Madagasgar. 

 

 I had never seen an aloe like this one!  It is called Aloe "Purple Haze".  It is another hybrid with its heritage also from Madagasgar.

 

 It must be happy... it has put up this flower spike.  I'  update when it blooms out.

 

Finally is Stonecrop  “Golden Carpet”.  Stonecrop are spreaders so likely I will be repotting this year.  I love the bright  yellow color!

 I have a couple of trailing succulents that survived the Big Freeze.  I haven’t yet repotted them so that will be something to show you latter.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.