Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Our Little Piece of Desert

Himself and I have always enjoyed cactus and succulents.  For the last 3 or 4 years we've been slowly adding them to our plant collection.  We summer them outside, usually set here and there.  Not a good way to be able to enjoy them.


So we set up a little piece of desert in the front yard.


These are waiting to be repotted.  The two cactus will go in an rectangular hypertufa pot that I made a while back.  The succulent will into a clay pot.


These baby jade plants are ready to be repotted too.  (Besides... I need my bonsai pot back!)


On the left, a volunteer succulent that I have everywhere.  It will be replanted with its brethren this fall so I can have my pot back.  To the right, a kalanchoe.  When it flowers is as red as its pot.


My cactus dish garden.


Not sure what this is.  It's a clearance rescue plant.


Don't know what this one is either.  If you look at it hard, it will drop a leaf or two.


My big jade plant is getting stringy.  I need to decide what I'm going to do with it.


Between the jade and the drop-a-leaf plant, I've gotten a bunch of pieces to propagate.  You can see the ones on the far right have already sprouted 'pups' (babies).  Since I took this photo I've had to add another propagation tray.  These will be ready to have their own pots by late fall.

Below is another problem child...


Yes, I've neglected this one.

The jades have gotten leggy and the aloe have taken over.  I'm going to completely pull this apart.  The aloes will be potted up in several ways.  The jades... I'm going to have to ask some advice on what to do with them.

Other than my own propagations (and well, maybe a rescue or two), I don't plan on getting in more this year.  But I'm ready for next spring!

Look at what they have at the Amish produce auction!!







Yep... next spring...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.