Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquaked!!

Last night or this morning (4:37 AM)…however you look at it…there was an earthquake about 270 miles north of here near Evansville, IN.

According to the comments on the local newspaper’s web site, a lot of people were jolted awake and things rattled pretty good. One person said that her cats ran up onto her bed and sat there staring at her. (Hey Mom! How’d you do that!?)

And I slept right thru it. Didn’t help that I’d only been asleep for 2.5 hours because I had laid my hands on my newest “SisterChick” book and had a marathon night read. But I was miffed.

10:15-ish AM. Himself and I were in the family room when the wall lamp started rattling. And kept rattling. For a good 30 seconds it rattled. Now I know this lamp is a bit wonky and will vibrate when the door slams or such but nothing like that was happening. Himself and I looked at each other and said “Earthquake!” Shortly after the lamp stopped rattling, the stained glass piece next to it started gently swaying. A perfect example of P and S seismic waves.

A check of the earthquake web site confirmed it. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time
· Friday, April 18, 2008 at 15:14:16 UTC
· Friday, April 18, 2008 at 10:14:16 AM at epicenter
Location
38.539°N, 87.865°W
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region
ILLINOIS
Distances
· 13 km (8 miles) E (81°) from West Salem, IL
· 14 km (8 miles) W (275°) from Allendale, IL
· 15 km (10 miles) NE (48°) from Bone Gap, IL
· 68 km (42 miles) NNW (336°) from Evansville, IN
· 207 km (129 miles) E (92°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 2.7 km (1.7 miles); depth fixed by location program
Source
· U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID us2008qzbw



Magnitude 4.5 - ILLINOIS
2008 April 18 15:14:16 UTC
Earthquake Details
The Schultz family seismograph

1 comment:

  1. I subscibe to the EQ Notification Service and I didn't get notified of this earthquake. I'm going to have to check my profile...

    I'm glad you guys didn't have it any worse... bet it felt really odd though!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.