Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Review: Wilshire's of Georgetown

Our 'nice' dinner for the overnight trip to Georgetown, KY was at "Wilshire's".  Before leaving I checked them out on a couple of sites.  Arriving, I was full of hopeful trepidation.  The reviews are so hit or miss I was worried especially since we were a group of 28.


The old building is lovely...


...the trash around it is not.  This mess is next to the entrance.

Beware that the walkway around to the back of the building where you enter is also the roadway for golf carts.  We were nearly clipped by some jokers.

Throughout our visit there was only one other table of 5 dining, so they definitely were not busy.  We were seated in an addition to the house, basically a sports bar area.  Zero atmosphere tho ‘historical’ is what they push in their ads.


First, we were told because we were a group, we could have a limited menu.  Four entrees were offered... a steak, catfish, fried chicken, or a salad on an unpriced computer printed menu.  That was all we could choose from... couldn’t even order a burger!

Hubby ordered a cup of coffee.  Twice he was offered a refill, which he took.  Come check time he had been charged for EVERY cup he drank...$6.57 for coffee.  The server did not inform us that the refills she offered were charged each cup.  What a rip off.


Someone's fried chicken that was set down in front of me.



Both Himself and I ordered the catfish:  mine fried and his grilled.  

Catfish came with broccoli which I don’t like, so I asked for green beans instead (served with both  the steak and fried chicken).  The waitress actually gasped, saying the chef wouldn’t like that and probably wouldn’t make the change.  Excuse me??  

She said if I didn’t like broccoli I should order something else.  I insisted for the substitution.  No rolls or crackers were offered with the meal.

Forty minutes later our food was served.  My fried catfish was hot as was Himself’s grilled fish.  Both styles of fish were tasty.  He enjoyed his broccoli which was nearly raw.  My green beans (yes, I got them) were straight out of a can; not rinsed and no seasoning at all.  They were served in a third cup size ramekin.  The rice pilaf was overcooked and tasteless; the serving was smaller than the beans.

Towards the end of the meal, the owner offered 2 options for dessert~ cheesecake or cherry pie.  The cheesecake had no topping and the pie was soggy crusted and very little fruit. 

Only when we finally got the check (a long process) did we know what we were charged.  The catfish was $14.00 each and the pies were $6.00.  Ice tea was $2.69 and then there was that $6.57 for coffee.

Outrageous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.