Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Memory Lane: Cars

I'm working on a memory book project about things that have gone obsolete in my lifetime.  So much fun that I've decided to share some.

Do you remember...



... Steering wheel knobs?

My grandpa had one on his car.


... Rolling down (or up) your window?


... the vent window.

I miss these!!  You could really pull the air (and an occasional bug) into the car.  And the frame was the perfect place to rest your hand.


... the dimmer switch on the floor.


... manual pull-up locks.


... lap belts.


... cigarette ash trays.

A perfect place to hide stuff.


... curb feelers AND white wall tires.

I hated white walls because it was my job to keep them clean.


... AM only radio.


... 8 track stereo.  


... two keys for your car.

... stick shift on the column.

Yes, I have driven one and still can!


... a large rear window dash.

Like this boy, I thought it was a prime napping spot.


... soda can holder.


... the gas crisis.  

Seriously... in 1973 and 1979 OPEC cut off oil and gas was hard to come by~ at any price!


... when the speed limit dropped to 55 miles per hour.

In 1974 President Nixon dropped the national speed limit to help save fuel.


... gas station air hoses.

The air pressure of a car running over them rang a bell inside the station to let the attendant know there was a customer outside (most gas stations also had a garage).


... a gas station service attendant.

He'd pump your gas, wash ALL your windows, check the oil level, and check the tire pressure... at no charge!



I had forgotten about that!  Your hands would get SO dirty.  Bleh!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.