Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Making a Wood Turned Pen

I've always admired a beautiful ink pen, they look so classy.  So when I saw that the wood shop on Ft. Campbell was offering a class to learn how to make a turned wood ink pen both Himself and I signed up.  


When we arrived our kits were waiting on us.


After picking out our 'blanks', the instructor started showing us the ins and outs.
(That is my wood blank... not sure what sort of wood it is but it started out looking purple.)


Measuring the pen housing against the wood blank.
(That one belongs to Himself and it is Osage Orange/Hedge Apple wood.)


We had only JUST taken our shop safety class so I wasn't comfortable yet with using the saw.  I hadn't even touched it yet!  So I had the instructor do the cutting.


Once cut the ends are smoothed with the belt sander.


After that it was time to drill thru the middle to make the space where the housings will fit.


Getting it centered.


And drilling!


After that we put a 'dimple' in it to mount it on the lathe machine.


Mounted and ready to turn.


I've been working it down for a while.


Smoothing on some sort of finishing paste.  The instructor started it because it can get a bit messy.


But I finished it!


Now to start putting the inside together.


Pressing in the pen's end piece...


...and its cap and clip.


Our finished pens!


1 comment:

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.