Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Review: Sumo Orange

 My Japanese cooking Facebook group has been singing the praises of the 'sumo orange'.  So much so that when I saw them in Publix I decided to try one.  



The sumo orange is not an orange at all.  It is a giant mandarin grown only in Japan.  It is touted as easy to peel - Yes.  It is distinctively sweet - Yes, it has a honey-like taste.  It is seedless - Yes.  It is expensive - YES, one small orange sized sumo cost $4!

I realize that a lot of loving care goes into growing them.  The small trees are hand pruned so each fruit gets sunlight.  They are tree ripened so the shipping time is short.  They are hand picked.  They are transported on a water conveyor belt.  All processing and packing is done by hand.

They are delicious.  But in my opinion, they are not worth $4 each.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.