Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

A Heavyweight Swap

 A few years ago Himself considered taking up blacksmithing as a hobby.  Among other things, he purchased a  # Village Forge anvil by the Trenton company from his blacksmith friend LC.

Then he changed his mind...

So the  anvil he bought became mine.  Do you ask "Why?"  Well, it is very useful in my jewelry making and for setting rivets in some of my other projects.

I already had a small anvil I'd gotten from LC at the same time, so now I had two!

However, I think LC had some seller's regret.  Over the years he let it be known that if we ever wanted to part with that ol' Trenton anvil, he'd give us what we'd paid for it.

Himself told him, "No thank you, Teri is happy with it."

Then we got an email saying if we wanted to SWAP for a different anvil, he had 3 I could pick from!  I laughingly said to Himself that if LC wanted it that bad... yes, I would swap.  I didn't want to keep 'his Precious'!  

Before Himself could answer, LC messaged again to sweeten the deal.  There were now FOUR anvils to choose from.  My acceptance was sent and just a few days later LC rolls up into our driveway ready to deal!

Hmmmm... which one to choose?

LC tells me about each one he brought.

This one caught my eye.  I liked its shape, I liked the size of its face plate, and I REALLY liked its history.

You see, it is a Mousehole Anvil from Cornwall, UK.  It has been around a while as it was forged in about 1865!  Yep, 156 years old.

Its weight is in 'stones' not pounds.  I love how it has been used but carefully taken care of.  That is character!

The swap was made!  And each of us knows we each got the better end of the deal.

Then LC surprised me with a wee gift.  Another small anvil that is about 80 years old.  Love its blue patina. 

Oh, almost forgot!  Earlier LC gave me a tiny cedar anvil he had carved.  It's so cute!

Now my four anvils sit in my studio on a rolling stand made for me by Himself.  The stand itself is 'flotsam' I found along the roadside (an excellent homemade rolling frame) and the boards are driftwood boards we had picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.