Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Memory Lane ~ School Days

Well, it is mid September and every kid I know is back in school.  The earliest start was 7 August and the last one I know of trudged in on 3 September.

Back in 'my day' school started after Labor Day.  It was proceeded with major shopping trips... clothes and shoes to replace what didn't fit any more... 

(and if the shoe still fit... a little shoe polish would make it look new)



new school supplies... 


definitely a new lunch box...

  
First day teacher would check off our names and hand out the books.


Then a trip to the bathroom to wash up for the day.
(Yes, my elementary school really did have one of those hand wash stations).


Remember papers printed on the mimeograph machine?  You either loved or hated that smell.
I hated it!


When this rolled out, you knew there's be a lot of notes to take.


Paper cutters scared me to death!  There was always some story about a teacher who had cut a finger off using one.  Funny tho... I never saw a teacher missing a finger.
But you never know...


Uh-huh...


Then when you found the book, you had to fill out the card to check it out.


If your info was in this... you had a lot of hand copying to do.  No photo copiers back then!


Now armed with books of information it was time to sharpen your pencils...


... and get to your desk to work.

These where the desks we had in elementary school.  And yes, that lid dropped down on my fingers more than once!


The big kid desks we had in the high school.


Remember walking into class and see this?  Odds were for a good morning then!


And if you saw THIS... it was a great morning!






2 comments:

  1. My elementary school had those hand washing stations, too! I haven't thought about them for years. Thanks for bringing back a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even as a kid I thought they were a big waste of water... especially since our restrooms also had regular sinks...

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.