Pages

Friday, September 27, 2019

Rock Hound Field Trip: Selenite

Himself and I recently joined a Nashville based 'rock hound' club.  We had our first trip recently.  We headed to west central Tennessee.  There is a site that is rich in selenite crystals.  It also contains some nice fossils.  We spent about 3 hours here before we got too hot and called it a day.  We have plans to go back this winter and try again.


This is a selenite star (2 pieces have already been picked up by Himself).  Stars are one of the 'trophy' finds here.


When we got home I printed the above photo to help me get the star back together.


And here is the star laid out on a piece of cloth.  I now have to figure out how to mount it for display in an upcoming project.



This is where we did our rock hounding.  As I understand it, the landscape is natural.


Here's a close-up of the side of one of those mounds.


Even with clouds, it was pretty warm that day... but not bad at all when you consider it was still summer in The South.  That is Himself in the middle of the photo.


Me... working on a mound.


In spite of the hook in my hand, you do not dig here.  I can't stand dirt under my finger nails so I use the hook instead.


Here's another piece of selenite in the shape called a 'bow tie'.


A few other keepers.  The ones in the bag I don't want and will take them back next time to scatter for other to find.


My other interesting find was this fossil bone.  I'm working on getting an ID for it.

We had a lot of fun with this group.  Can't wait for the next rock hounding trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.