Pages

Monday, August 15, 2022

Spam Musubi

 One of my “Covid hobbies” has been learning to cook Japanese cuisine.  It’s been kind of amusing as I like the looks of Japanese food but I’ve never really had it (outside of sushi!). 

In my search for recipes that have ingredients I can source locally, I discovered the Hawai’i-meets-Japan snack Spam musubi.  Some call it “Spam sushi” because of the way it looks… like a sushi roll. 

It is fast, easy to make, and tasty.  It is like making a sandwich except instead of bread you use rice.  Between the 2 layers of rice there is a slice of Spam (I used Teriyaki flavored) and what ever else you’d like.  My choice was egg and avocado.  Then the musubi is wrapped in a band of nori.  There are at least a hundred recipes for making musubi.  Seriously.  The only way you can go wrong is if you rice layer falls apart. 

Here is how I did it – 

I made my sushi (short grain) rice according to package instructions.  Once it was cooked and at room temperature, you press your rice ‘patty’.  


 
Here is an inexpensive mold you can buy for less than $10 from Amazon or an Asian store.  

 
OR if you’re not sure if you’ll ever make it again, put it on a piece of plastic wrap as I did here and shape it into a Spam slice shape (cut long ways). 

Then either way you squash the bejeebers out of it.  If you have the mold, add the filling and the top layer of rice.  Give it another squashing.  If you’re going the plastic wrap method, make 2 separate rice patties.  Then assemble your ‘sandwich’. 

Add your nori band (or not, I don’t like nori very much). 


 
Ta-da!  It is munching time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.