Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Favorite Vacation Destinations

When asked what my favorite vacation spot is… I can’t pick just one!  So here are my THREE favorite places to visit. 

Local – St. Louis, MO.  I don’t think the fact that St. Louis is my “home city” makes me prejudice so that it is my favorite local vacation place.  What I love about it is that it’s a small city packed full of things to do… and many of them are FREE! 

Yes, you read correctly.  Free.

In Forest Park there are world class attractions (many in building from the World’s Fair in 1904) with no admission charge to the main areas.  The zoo.  The art museum.  The science center.  The MO history museum.  Street parking is free too.

You can also visit the Anheuser-Busch brewery, Grant’s Farm (there is a parking charge), the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, and several other attractions at no charge. 

For a small admission you can visit the Museum of Transportation (adults $6), the MO Botanical Gardens (adults $8, kids under 12 free), ride to the top of the Gateway Arch (adults $10, kids $5), the American Kennel Club Dog Museum (adults $5) and more!

Great “hands on” kid places are the Magic House and the City Museum.  They are a bit pricer tho. 

Then there are all sorts of concerts and theater available.  Great food (The Hill is an area of Italian restaurants known worldwide). 

If you are bored in St. Louis… there is just no hope for you!  I’m labeling my St. Louis blog posts “Show Me St. Louis”.


USA – Seattle, WA area.  If I have to get on an airplane, I’m happiest if it is heading west to Seattle.  Mountains, ocean, and great weather (who minds a bit of rain!?). 

I’ve visited Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, Seattle Waterfront, Seattle Aquarium, the Fisherman’s Terminal, Tillicum Village, eaten at ‘Salumi’, and more. 
Going a bit farther afield, I’ve taken glass blowing classes in nearby Tacoma, hiked on Mt. Rainer and thru Federation Forest.  I’ve gone down to Mt. Saint Helens.  Explored small towns in both the mountains and along the coastline.   
And there is so much more to see and do!  I’m working on labeling my blog posts about my Washington trips under “Wandering In Washington”. 

Overseas – Scotland.   Scotland was like coming home to a place I’d never been before.  I loved the villages and open space.  The mountains and the ocean.  Laid-back friendly people.  Great food. 
I would go back again in a heartbeat.  If you want to see more about my Scotland trip, look under my blog label “Scotland Walkabout”. 





3 comments:

  1. What nice choices! I have visited St. Louis (Wash U tour) but didn't know there was so much to do there! Scotland is a favorite of mine, too, but I may like Ireland even better. The people are wonderful in both locales. I have never visited Seattle, but my daughter and I are considering a trip there in August. Can't wait!

    Stopping by from The Polohouse Favorites on the First.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post, Teri!
    I love the state of Washington and all
    the beautiful snow-capped mountains.
    I have only spent a couple weeks there
    but loved it so much. And if you can believe
    it, it was sunny and in the 90's the entire visit
    to Seattle, which I hear is rare!?

    St. Louis IS a great town. Great food, great people,
    and many fun things to do. I can see why you love it so.

    I have been to England and France but never to Scotland or Ireland. I adore plaid so much, it (Scotland) has moved up several notches on my travel destination wish list in recent years!

    Thanks so much for sharing, Teri.
    xoxox
    Have a very happy Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both Seattle and Scotland and St. Louis is on my list. Thanks for sharing the photos. Great post!
    Happy 4th of July! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.