Pages

Monday, July 18, 2022

I Made Cheap Balsamic Vinegar Better

I had a seriously bad case of sticker shock last week.  Went shopping at an olive oil and vinegar store in Nashville… walked in and walked out!  Pre Covid plague I could get a nice balsamic was $22 for 750 ml, now it is $48.  [500ml would cost $32] 

Ummmm… no.  So I have worked out an option.  Here’s how to dress up a cheap but good quality balsamic.  I’m speaking specifically about Trader Joe’s Balsamic Vinegar of Modena” in a 500 ml bottle that (to me) looks like a beer bottle. It costs $2.29 at the Trader Joe’s store.  Yes you read that right… TWO dollar and twenty nine cents. 

While it has not the flavor of a beautiful 18 year old Modena, it is actually not all that bad.  My issue is that it is really thin… like almost apple cider vinegar thin.  That’s OK for a basic salad dressing but unacceptable for a Caprese Salad.  It’s got to cling, right?


When I make a sauce that I want to have some ‘body’, I reduce it over a low heat.  Why not do the same to vinegar?

 
 I used a pan so there would be a larger heating/evaporating surface.  I poured the entire bottle into the pan and set the stove temperature very low.  It was just steaming (next time I’ll try it a bit higher).  

 
Every 5 to 10 minutes I gave it a stir.  This was a slow process.  After reducing by half I was satisfied with the results.   

A word from experience here… have your stove fan going during this process!  This is VINEGAR after all.  We both were having allergic sinus issues from some deep cleaning we are working on.  This opened them right up!  Persia Kitty headed to the other side of the house. 

Nope, it didn’t magically turn into a fantastic aged Modena.  But next trip to Trader Joe’s I’m going to buy two bottles and reduce by half.  That will give 500 ml for $4.60.  It is a nice thick inexpensive balsamic that works.  Which is fine for me at this point in my life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.