Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2022

My Wabi Sabi Life

The last 3 years … no, the last 5 years… have been really hard.  To regain my balance in the world as it now is, I’ve had to make a major shift in my philosophy of how  I need to look at life.  After several years of study, I am now embracing the philosophy of “Wabi Sabi”. 

First off, do not make the typical mistake of confusing religion (a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices) and a philosophy (an activity people undertake when they seek to understand fundamental truths about themselves, the world in which they live, and their relationships to the world and to each other). 

Back to "Wabi Sabi".  It is NOT the watered down definition given by Western 'trend followers' looking for a thing to make them seem ever so amazing.  The 'trendies' say it is seeing "beauty in imperfection" and stop there.  No.  No...  That is like saying compassion means 'being nice'. 

America teaches that only the 'very best perfect' is worth having.   Unfortunately those setting the definition of "perfect" are usually narcissistic idiots.  To see this takes only a glance at the so-called 'influencers'.  Sad. 

Wabi Sabi quashes the whole ideal of "perfection" outside of God.  It tells you that nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.  And because of this, being content where you are with all that you already have, is to be happy.  Simply do your best to be the best that you can be. 

One should not strive for perfection OR imperfection, but instead for excellence.  Most people just want to be a hot mess and act all spiritual about.  That is just laziness.   

 
  

OK, so how am I applying this to me? 

I am working on appreciating what I have and who I am.  That when something goes bad, I realize it is not just at me.  "Shtuff" happens and it doesn't mean I'm being picked on by God or persecuted by Satan.  Like John Denver sang, "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones." 

I have started a meditation using these two phrases/quotes:  "Life does not have to be perfect to be beautiful." and "You're having a bad day... not a bad life."  It helps.  I'm not there yet but I know someday I will be able to say: 

"I humbly accept with an open heart."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.