You can email me at clanhanna62@gmail.com My blog archives and post labels are way down at the bottom of the page.


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"Anything With A Blade..."

When we arrived at last month’s blacksmith meeting, the forge looked a wee bit different.  I’d never seen a pot set on it before!  We were going to see something new this time.

The challenge issued last month for the “make and take” was ‘anything with a blade’.  There were some very interesting pieces.


This one is made out of a piece of wire cable. 


Isn’t the blade wild??  The maker said it is basically a show piece as the cheap metal in the wire doesn’t hold an edge.  Even so, I still think it’s great.


This “old man” knife made me smile. 


A multipurpose tool!  LOL


Quite a practical looking piece.  You could cut some serious steaks with that.


A twisted handle (not made of cable).


This hacksaw is incredible.  And it does have a blade! 


These utensils are period piece reproductions that were done by the guest demonstrator. 


He showed how to set a blade into a handle.


He had everyone’s full attention.


By now, the pot’s contents were boiling.


It was babbitt … a metal alloy for casting.  I think he said this one was tin and lead.


The molten babbitt was poured into a collar around the blade and handle.


Once it set up, that blade was there to stay!  He used the hacksaw to trim the excess and with a bit of filing it was smooth.  Unfortunately my recently charged camera battery tanked out on me, so I didn’t get a photo of the finished knife.  L

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! WOW! I wish I wasn't working so much, I could go back to taking these exciting day excursions with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming walkabout with me! I enjoy comments and will try to answer questions quickly if I have a way to reply to you. Sorry I have had to put the word verification back on... the spam jerks (especially the Serbian ones... yeh, I check your addys) have been overloading me lately.

However... I do not approve comments whose purpose is to spam. My readers do not deserve such garbage. I also do not allow anonymous comments. If you have something to say, then put your name to it.