Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Winter Favorite - Black Beans and Rice

Sunday is our laid back day.  We go to church then come home and relax.  Dinner (lunch) is something simple… an easy recipe or something made the day before.  This last Sunday we had one of my “go to” kitchen staple recipes:  Black Beans and Rice.  Everything is in the pantry, so it is something you can keep for unexpected guests too.
 
 
 
Black Beans and Rice
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 can diced tomatoes, drained into measuring cup
1 can Rotel tomatoes (whatever heat level you like), drained into measuring cup
1 can black beans, rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste.
 
Drain the two cans of tomatoes into a measuring cup, then add enough water to make the amount needed to cook the rice.
Add rice, tomatoes and rinsed beans to the tomato water; cook covered 45 to 50 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. 
A few times towards the end of cooking, stir deeply from the bottom of the pot.
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds soooo yummy, Terri!

    My husband will love this. He is from the south and beans and rice are a staple, and yet I never make them!
    Shame on me. Now I have no excuses and with just four ingredients, I can DO this!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this recipe
    with all of us at FotF!!!

    xoxox
    Alison
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is different, and I might try it. I get so tired of cooking red beans and rice. My husband is from New Orleans, and he wants me to cook them all the time!

    Linking from The Polo House,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.