Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

And The Rest of the Story: Salt Cured Egg Yolks

When I wrote earlier about my salt preserving projects, I mentioned my salt preserved egg yolks that weren't quite finished.


I wasn't really sure about that recipe!


You start by putting a 1" layer of salt into a small container.  Then you make a yolk sized sunken area in the salt.


Carefully separated the whites from the yolk.  (The whites were added into some other eggs for our omelet supper that evening).


Then you cover the yolk completely with salt.  Next step is to put it in the refrigerator.


I was worried about it tipping so I put the containers in bowls.


I checked them at one week in.


They weren't quite dry enough, so back into the salt and they sat a few more days in the fridge.


Next time they were ready.  

How do you know ready?  One lady described them as feeling like "a stale gummy bear".

Exactly!


And here's what you do with them!

SO tasty grated like cheese over some browned butter spaghetti.  I have more curing in the fridge right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.