Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Bonsai 101 - Shimpaku

The bonsai club offers a class called Bonsai 101.  It meets the first Saturday of the month (except December).  Each class builds on the skill sets learned at the previous meetings.  

I was so excited to get in to this year's session!


I was not excited about the 95*F heat...


The instructors Eileen and John C (we're at John's house for this session).


We each picked out the shimpaku juniper we wanted.  Eileen has a brilliant way ordering the picks... the first person to arrive gets first pick, the second gets second pick, and so on.  Great incentive to get there a bit early!  

I was #4.  This is my shaggy little tree.


Eileen first taught us what to look for in a pre bonsai... both for health and for the shape that will be easiest to work with for that tree type.

Then we started looking at the 'nebari' (base of trunk and top of roots).  And we learned out to 'pick the front'.  That step is the basis for everything you will do with that tree from there on.


  
I spent some time cleaning up the surface so I could make my decision of "front".


Then the first pruning and shaping began.  This took up a lot of class time.  Every two students had a 'mentor' to help... and we all keep them busy!


The last task for the day was the first wiring of our trees.  This gives them the shape they will have.  Eileen is showing how to support the wire as you wrap so you don't mess up the branch by having too much torque.


Wiring.

You use really sturdy wire for the heavy trunk.


Going up into the branches.  My tree is going to be very 'twisty'.  I've also decided to do a double trunk form, which is a little more difficult.


And here is my twisty little shimpaku after the class.  His name is "Checker".

He now gets to rest until next spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.