Pages

Friday, November 16, 2018

Marimo Moss Ball Aqua Terrarium

Since first seeing them, I have been kind of fascinated with 'Marimo moss balls'.  Actually they are a type of spherical algae that just feel and look like moss.  They come from cold lakes in Japan, Scotland, and Iceland (plus a few other areas).  Long lived - 100+ years - and slow growing, they are a fun addition to a aquarium.



I already had this 3 gallon apothecary jar from Home Goods.  Besides the Marimo, I put in a tall and a short aquatic plant.   I'm also looking for some sort of floating plant(s).  I plan to add a Beta fish next spring.  We keep our house pretty cool in the winter and I don't want to fool with a heater just yet.


Here's a close up of the Marimo (Japanese for 'seaweed ball').  Interesting aren't they?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.