Pages

Friday, April 12, 2019

Baby Groot Gets Styled

The last two months have been an extremely busy bonsai time.  Classes, workshops, meetings, display set up, plants 'waking up' from winter, and digging up new plants~ while working around wild temperature swings, rain, and some personal stuff going down.

My favorite workshop was a styling session for a bald cypress (one of the bonsai species I like best).


It was held at the home of my mentor John W.  His house is around 150 years old and has been in his family for generations!

Here we are discussing what I want to do with this tree.  (I bought it at an online auction.  I got an incredible deal because of the time of year - December.  Folks just weren't doing much tree buying then.)  The tree has a feature that I just love!


Since it is such a tender baby AND because I learn best by watching then doing; John did most of the wiring this time.


In progress.


Now do you see why I started calling it "Baby Groot"?

And in this photo you can see the reason I bought this particular tree... it already has a really cool 'knee'!


More wiring...


And it's done!


See how all those branches that were sticking straight up are now a lovely 'mature' shape?


A bit closer.

John and I are talking about the possibility that it might be show ready by July.  So I've picked up a nice pot and this week I will repot it.  (You have to wait 6 weeks after styling to fool around with it again.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.