You can email me at clanhanna62@gmail.com My blog archives and post labels are way down at the bottom of the page.


Thursday, September 9, 2010

Before and After: Breakfast Tray to Laptop Desk

I found this little breakfast tray in my decluttering. It had belonged to my grandmother so I didn’t want to get rid of it. But I don’t like eating in bed so I certainly wasn’t going to use it for its intended purpose.

So I decided to repurpose it into a tray for my laptop.


First I primed it with Kilz spray primer. Then I went thru my newly cleaned up paint shelf to see what color I’d like to use. I had some Rustoleum Metallic Black paint I’d used in some other projects. I liked the way it has that sparkle to it, so that is what I picked to use.

To do the tray I found a piece of fabric at Hobby Lobby and cut it to size. From there I Mod Podged it as normal, using 2 coats on the top.

When everything was dry, I sprayed it with 5 coats of satin poly to protect it from the bumps it will get in use.


I am really pleased with how this ‘transformation’ turned out! I’ve linked up with Funky Junk's Saturday Night Special, Shabby Chic Cottage’s “Transformation Thursday” and The CSI Project’s “Back To School” challenge.






Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special







Visit thecsiproject.com

8 comments:

  1. wow, genius idea to use fabric! and you chose such a wonderful pattern. great project :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a super job! I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From mundane to classy and up-to-date. And useful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tray looks fantastic!
    Love the fabric & the tray looks really sturdy too
    happy thursday : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love it~ Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done...your laptop needs to breathe...thanks for your comments...hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  7. How resourceful! I love the transformation!

    I'm following you now! Visit me @ www.illgetyoumypretties.blogspot.com if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming walkabout with me! I enjoy comments and will try to answer questions quickly if I have a way to reply to you. Sorry I have had to put the word verification back on... the spam jerks (especially the Serbian ones... yeh, I check your addys) have been overloading me lately.

However... I do not approve comments whose purpose is to spam. My readers do not deserve such garbage. I also do not allow anonymous comments. If you have something to say, then put your name to it.