Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Salud! at Whole Foods - Sushi

It’s no secret that I really enjoy eating sushi.  Best Friend and I are always up for a trip to one of our favorite sushi restaurants.  So when I saw Whole Foods was offering a sushi class I knew we had to take it.

First we learned to make sushi rice and how to handle the sticky stuff. We also learned that there are two sides to the Nori (seaweed) wrapper and that it is important to use the correct side for the roll you are making.  

After that, we made 4 different sushi rolls. A cucumber roll, a spicy tuna (or salmon) roll, an ‘inside-out’ California roll and a nigiri with tuna or salmon.



 
The rolls are pretty much the same construction; you just use different ingredients and sauces.  You start by spreading the sushi rice over the sheet of Nori.  Keeping your fingers moist with a water/rice vinegar mixture keeps it from sticking to you (and everything else).

Then you put the filling in the center.  Here I am doing the spicy tuna roll.

Once it is all fixed up like you want it, you flip the back of the roll completely over the filling (taking care not completely double over the roll).  Then you use the sushi mat to squeeze and shape.  When it’s compacted, you give it another turn and mash it again.  It takes about 3 turns to complete the roll.

To slice you moisten the blade of the knife with the same water you use on your hands.  Be careful not to cut yourself!

Here is a California Roll ready to be cut.

Best Friend and her first sushi roll. 

Cucumber Roll (cucumber and cream cheese). 

We came home with a box of sushi we were not able to finish munching in class. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to do. This is something I will definitely be doing at home, especially since Whole Foods now sells sushi grade tuna. 

Here is a recipe for the sauce for the spicy rolls:



Spicy Tuna Sauce



1 1/2 cup mayonnaise



1/2 cup hot chili sauce, preferably Sriracha



2 teaspoons sesame oil



Combine all ingredients until smooth and serve with and in the Spicy Tuna Roll.

2 comments:

  1. It DOES sound easy, but I think I'll still just buy prepared Whole Foods sushi...a real treat for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks so good! Mmmm. I think I am with Kathy though...I may stick to the pre-prepared stuff ;-)

    Much love,
    Future Mama
    http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.