Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

The Evolution of a Bedroom

When we moved into our home I already had an idea of how I wanted to do the master bedroom.  I wanted a room that reminded us of the beaches we loved.  Northern beaches.. rugged and rocky. 

It’s taken a while but I’ve finally gotten it to what I had envisioned 4 years ago.

Top photo was taken in 2008, shortly after we had moved in.  The bottom photo was taken last spring.  This is my dresser.
And here it is now.   
The paint color is Behr “Bayside”.  The focal point is the ‘window framed’ photograph of a beach in Scotland.  I got the window from Best Friend when she had all the windows in her house replaced. 

I love how I can wake up and be looking at one of the beaches I spent time on in Scotland.  I’ve scattered things across the dresser that continues that feeling. 

Most of it was picked up in Scotland but a few pieces are from Alaska.

The old ladder was my Mom’s.  I grabbed it when she redecorated the room she had been using it in. 

The rocker and throw rug are from Himself’s uncle Herb.  The rug was hand hooked by Herb’s mother.  I recaned the rocker seat.  The small blue box belonged to another one of his uncles.  We’re not sure what the CCF stood for. 


Notice our door stop by the waste basket?  It is a single link from an anchor chain.  Himself worked long and hard to cut that free from a pile of scrap at the boat yard.  It is really heavy!

Again… 2008 and 2011.  Himself’s chest of drawers.
And now… 
The huge wreath that’s the focal point on this wall was a find at Home Goods… on clearance!  (I had women stopping me asking if there were any more in the store as I continued shopping.  LOL) 

Himself found the little bird on one of our trips.  It matches the wreath perfectly so I sneaked it out of his office.  The lantern is battery operated so it is safe to use so near the wreath. 

The little lamp was a gift from his mom.  It’s a bit brighter than a nightlight and glows very prettily.  All the shells on the chest are from our travels.

The stained glass came from our trip to Mackinaw Island.  And the chunk of wood is a piece of driftwood from a boat dock that got smashed up somewhere.  I found this in WA State and brought it home in my luggage (I always pack light so I can bring treasures home!  I always wonder what TSA is thinking when they check my bags.  LOL). 

Not much change between 2008 and 2011.   (I need to learn to close doors when I take room photos!  Looks like I was sorting some clothes last year…)
And now in 2012. 

The color really shows up nicely here.  And I remembered to close the other doors!  LOL


Himself found this hand carved oar on a remote island along the Alaskan Inner Passage. 

The large picture is a limited edition print of the Trident Seafoods plant at Akutan, Alaska.  The 4 photos above it are shots I took when I visited Akutan. 

But there were big changes here!  The bedspread is the first thing I bought after we moved in.  Last year I decided that the head board we had in ’08 would look better in the guest bedroom… and I bought a new bed set. 
And this wall continues to have the biggest changes.   
The board wall isn’t the old barn wood it appears to be… it is new 1x12 shiplap board that has been stained with Sherwood Williams “Charwood” stain.  I wanted a rough appearance so I did no sanding and rolled the stain on. 
I love how it pops out the art in my gallery grouping.  The large piece over the bed is a sea chart Himself brought home (he has brought me a lot of them).  What is special about this one is that it is of Adak and Sitkin Islands… where we were when I visited his ship in 2008.  It is the very chart that was in use at that time!  (I’m still working on framing up the chart – it is up for size reference.)
The left side is Himself’s.  He found the end table he uses as a night stand at World Market. 

My ‘night stand’ is an old Craftsman desk that belonged to his uncle Herb.  I bought it at his estate auction.  The chair is an extra from my dining room set.  The lamp was found at the Pottery Barn outlet in Memphis. 

Photos of the babies and a pair of newborn socks from each of them.  Every time I come home from visiting them I marvel at how tiny their feet used to be… and how fast those little feet can run now! 
The vase is porcelain from our trip to Budapest, Hungary.

Here there be dragons! 
Isn’t he wonderful?  Dragoon was made by a talented artist in Austin, MN.  There is a great little gallery in the mall there with many different pieces by talented artist.  It is well worth stopping to visit if you are going by.
The photo of Himself was taken at the headwaters of the Mississippi River. 
I love how our master bedroom has evolved into a room that holds so many wonderful memories.  It is truly unique and “us”. 








2 comments:

  1. What a pretty color and cool texture you've added with the boards on the wall. I really love that look and it looks fab in your room as well. Thanks for linking up to my Room Evolution party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything that you did, but I'm especially partial to the oar wall hanging. <3

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.