Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Chihuly At Cheekwood

A few years ago I had the opportunity to see the Chihuly glass exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis. It was fantastic! So I was very excited when I learned there would be a Chihuly exhibit in Nashville at the Cheekwood Botanical Gardens!

Yesterday I made my first visit (there will be several!) and it was wonderful. Even if it was 950* out! OK, OK! 95* out! And it was not a dry heat…

I didn’t see all the pieces, wanted to leave some to discover on other trips. Hopefully, cooler trips.

Here’s a little Chihuly eye candy to enjoy! If you’re in the Nashville area, I highly recommend seeing it! It will be here until 31 Oct.


Macchia in the Botanic Hall. Name comes from the Italian word for “spotted”.


The Saffron Tower. Over 27’ tall and weighs about 4,600 lbs.


“Cattails” in the cannas.


The sphinx seems to be gazing at the glass.


Silvered purple “Herons”


So much like the spiky petals of some of the water lilies.


Erbium Fiori – one of my favorites. The color is incredible.


With the lotus.


A beautiful place for a dragonfly to rest.


This piece is about 10’ tall. Love those colors!


“Bamboo Reeds” Fantastic the way the light reflects from them.


“Niijima Floats” LOVE these!! This definitely gives me an idea for my garden!


“Boat” Talk about a ‘boat load of treasure’!


It reflected perfectly.


One of his impressive chandeliers. I wonder how they dust it…


“The Sun” This is one of the pieces that is illuminated for ‘Chihuly Nights’. I bet it’s wonderful. I’m going to try to make one of the night displays.

3 comments:

  1. I love his work! We had a traveling exhibit come through a couple of years ago. Now we have a whole permanent exhibit in St Petersburg that just opened up last week. Can't wait to go see it. Your pics are great. (They won't allow pics in the building.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore his work, especially the chandeliers! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.