Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Before and After: Fireplace Mantel

When we moved into our new home, it came with something we’d never had before… a fireplace!


It started as a blank slate…

I put things up and took them down almost as quickly. Then I came up with something that was “alright” but not quite where I wanted it.

So the other day I pulled everything down and started over again. I used some of the same elements that had been there before and brought new things into the mix.


And I came up with this!

It sets the mood for the living room… in fact, the whole house.

Travel.


This little case I picked up at Home Goods says it all!


The vase was purchased in Budapest, Hungary. The candle sticks are from my sister. The “candles” are not candles at all! They are blown glass tumblers I bought in Mexico. I put them there to check for height and loved the color. So they stayed.


The little toucan next to them is an ocarina I bought in Costa Rica. That’s where I saw my first toucan and I was delighted with them (but they look nothing like Toucan Sam! LOL).


This bronze bust is a Maasai morani (warrior) that Himself brought home from his military trip to Kenya in ’98. He didn’t realize I have quite an interest in the Maasai culture. He does now! We sponsor two Maasai children to Compassion.


I brought back the balalaika from my trip to Russia in ’94.


And the clock came from Home Goods. The large face tells the time at home. The smaller faces have photos of places I want to go and tell the time there. They are (clockwise from top left) Mt Everest base camp, Rio de Janeiro, Sydney, and Loch Ness in Scotland.

A future project is to replace the mantel piece with an old beam from a barn. I have my eye on one… just have to wait for them to take it down.

Now I have to work on the hearth area!

I've linked this to the Saturday Night Special link-up at Funky Junk Interiors. If you haven't visited her site... it's worth looking at! She is SO creative!



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love things that tell a story. That really is what home is about, isn't it? It is the story of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love things with story, or background from where you've been. That looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a great idea to pull everything down and start anew. You have some great treasure to display and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.