Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Living Room Project: A New Vignette for the Desk

A couple days ago I posted my kitchen project for Mary's 'home love' challenge.  Today I'll show you what I did for the living room challenge.


I have this little antique desk that Mom bought when I was a baby.  And it was old when she got it!  Mom did the finish back in the heyday of antiquing and I still love it.  In fact, I'm starting to see this finish being done new.

What goes around comes around, doesn't it?

I was tired of the arrangement I had on the desk itself (I'm still loving the moss terrariums on the top).  I started pulling stuff off so fast I forgot to take the before pictures... and certainly wasn't feeling it to put them back for photos!


This painting is an antique oil we picked up in a Budapest, Hungary market.


Then I gathered a stack of antique books for the other side.  

The top book is "Coleridge's Ancient Mariner Etc." printed in 1921.  It belonged at one time to Grace Dunn who was in Freshman English I.

The next book is "The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come" by John Fox Jr.  printed in 1903.   It is written about an area in KY were I've gone on a lot of mission trips.  In fact, Kentucky has a Kingdom Come State Park in that area.  I love the inscription on the fly leaf;  "Jason Alexander, from the sharer of your joys and sorrow for 58 years, Helen Alexander   June 19, 1912.

The third book is "Little Lord Fauntleroy" by 'Mrs. F. H. Burnett.  It was printed in 1886.  The book plate reads, "Glenkens Society - presented to Peter Tars as the 1st Prize for Junior Scripture in Pulharrow Public School, Parish of Kells, 24th May 1900."  I picked it up in Wigtown, Scotland for the sum of 6 Pounds (around $10).

The book below that is "Two Little Confederates" by Thomas Page, printed in 1891.  The inscription reads, "This book is presented to Harry Bell as a reward for having been the most punctual in attendance of any pupil in the school for the session of 1893 & 4.  He has been present every day since entering and in addition to this he has stood well in his classes.  May you, throughout life, be always be found at your post of duty, is the wish of...  Your teacher, G W Lypert, May 4th, 1894, Friday.

The final book isn't as old... but it is a lot more fun.  It is "Horton Hatches The Egg" by Dr Seuss.  It was printed in 1940, which is when the first edition was printed.  



The cute knobs came from Hobby Lobby.

A nice little change-up for the eyes!  I have a tendency to get bored if things stay the same for too long.  This little rearranging has gotten me eager to do the other shelves!





http://maryorganizes.com/2014/05/living-space-the-love-home-challenge-week-4/






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.