You can email me at clanhanna62@gmail.com My blog archives and post labels are way down at the bottom of the page.


Friday, January 27, 2017

Pumpkin Pie Spice Cauliflower Casserole

One of the things I'm doing this year is cooking a lot more new recipes.  I'm specifically going to do one recipe from each magazine I get that does recipes (provided I find one I actually like).

In a back issue of Rachel Raye (a magazine I did not order but was a bait-and-switch slam from the publisher.  And I am not getting it anymore.) I found a recipe called "Pumpkin Spice Cauliflower Casserole".  



Pumpkin Pie Spice Cauliflower Casserole

1 head (2 pounds) cauliflower, cut into florets
3 T butter
3 T flour
1.5 C whole milk
1.5 C grated white cheddar (I used Colby Jack because it's what I had)
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice (I used 3/4 t. and will go up to 1 t next time)**
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (I used Panko.  No measurements...just covered the top)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 425*F.

In a large pot of water, cook the cauliflower until barely tender, about 5 mins.  Drain.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the flour and cook, stirring often, until the mixture is light golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.  While stirring constantly, add the milk, cheese, and pumpkin spice.*  Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a medium (2 qt) baking dish.  In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan *; sprinkle over the cauliflower.

Bake until the casserole is golden brown and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.


* Upon the direction to "add...cheese..." I added both the grated Cheddar (Colby Jack) AND the Parmesan.  At the bottom of the recipe I realized that it should have specified which cheese.  Whatever.  It was great mixed together.  However the panko was a bit dry because of this change.  Next time I'll still mix the cheeses and will add to the panko melted butter so it browns up nice. 

**Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice: 
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves. Mix the spices together in a small.



This recipe is an absolute winner.  Himself said he could have eaten the entire pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming walkabout with me! I enjoy comments and will try to answer questions quickly if I have a way to reply to you. Sorry I have had to put the word verification back on... the spam jerks (especially the Serbian ones... yeh, I check your addys) have been overloading me lately.

However... I do not approve comments whose purpose is to spam. My readers do not deserve such garbage. I also do not allow anonymous comments. If you have something to say, then put your name to it.