Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Front Porch Welcome

Not only am I fixing up the inside of our home to reflect “us”, we are also personalizing the outside too.  The front of our house is as plain as a mud fence.  So I am working on a bit of ‘curb appeal’.

We don’t have a front porch – so to speak.  It has what my great-grandma called a “stoop”.   So the plan is to add some character to this featureless front.

One of the very first changes we made was to get rid of the plain contractor-grade front door and replace it with this wood door we ordered from Lowes.  I’m still looking for just the right handle set to go on it…

One of my favorite things about it is the “Lurch Door” (remember The Adam’s Family?). 

At the Lawn and Garden show a couple years ago I bought a Craftsman style arbor.  And it has been waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  A few weeks ago I dragged up on the stoop to see if it could be the thing to add some dimension to the front.  I loved it!  We had to reset the legs in a bit so it fit around the lights (another early change). 
We put moss rose in the planters because it gets HOT up there.  I know these plants will be able to take the heat.
The two lanterns are from Home Goods.  I’m still deciding what I want to put inside of them.  Right now they have some beach stones and driftwood pieces.  I want to get some sort of color pop without being overbearing.
There is still some tweaking to do but I’m happy with how it is coming along.


2 comments:

  1. HI Teri!
    Love how it is all coming together.
    You cracked me up when you referred to your door as the "Lurch" door. I loved the Addam's Family too!

    Your arbor adds nice interest to your new door and stoop. Looking good!

    xox
    Thanks so much for sharing at Favorites on the First, Teri!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. That door is really cool!

    I am linking from The Polo House!
    ~Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.