Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pinterest Inspired: Succulent Bird Bath Garden

I’m slowly working on getting my yard back into shape after neglecting it last year.  Our “bird garden” is one of the areas I’m really working on. 

A combination of cheap construction and being left out over the winter resulted in our large birdbath cracking and crumbling down one side.  The smaller two birdbaths are still in good shape.  I was prepared to throw the large one in the gully until I saw some fun succulent gardens on Pinterest. 

I had some succulents leftover from last year and I picked up a few more so I would have several different varieties.  .  Some of the plants are draping and a few will be more upright.  In a few weeks it should be very pretty.

I put down a layer of rock (leftover from my landscaping) to give drainage.  Then planting soil.  I spaced the plants around in a patchwork manner to give it visual interest. 

The two smaller bird baths will continue to hold water.  The fluttering of the visiting birds will splash water down on the plants.

The planter at the bottom is another Pinterest inspiration.  I used bags of garden soil for the base.  I stabbed holes all the way thru with a pitchfork for water drainage.  Then I wrapped the bags in weed cloth and cut away the top of both weed cloth and plastic bag. 

From there, I planted annual directly in them.  Then I mulched the bags.  The weed cloth wrap keeps the mulch from slipping off the mounds.

I love the way it turned out






4 comments:

  1. Lovley job :)
    and do not miss...

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!1 This year I'm in love with succulent gardens....I've started a couple of my own and will be doing more real soon :0) Too bad I don't have an old birdbath laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love what you've done, very clever save on the cracked birdbath. And adding the succulents, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely! Great job on reusing the bird bath!
    Saw you linking at Funky Junk Interiors.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.