Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Reaching Out To The World

Did you know that I am a world financier?  And at the bottom of this post I have the opportunity to make an offer that will allow you to become one also.

Since January 2009 I have been making small business loans worldwide thru an organization called “Kiva”.  This is an organization that works with other organizations to make micro-loans.  The minimum loan amount is $25.  The recipients are expected to repay their loans, and then the lender (me and the others who ‘invested’) are repaid. 

For the entire year of 2009 I made one $25 loan a month for an ‘investment’ of 12 loans totaling $300.  Since then, as the loans are repaid and I am repaid, I have reinvested it back into new people.  To date, that $300 has been turned into 39 loans valuing around $975.  I have made loans to people in 19 countries. 

Personally, I have decided to make loans just to widows (tho occasionally there are exceptions).  95% of my loans are to women.  My reasoning is that as a Christian I am called to take care of the widows and children, and this is one way I can do that.  I make loans that are for a project that will make the recipient more independent and capable of supporting themselves. 

As with any loan, there is a chance that it will end in default.  But the wonderful thing about Kiva loans are the people receiving them are truly GRATEFUL for this opportunity that they probably never dreamed they would receive.  And they try very, very hard to repay their loans.  According to the stats on my ‘portfolio’ page, the average default rate is 1.06%.  Seriously.  The default rate on my loans has been 0%.  A few have had periods where they were delinquent but all have fought their way back and paid off their loan.  I am so proud of them.

Right now I am financing 6 ladies (with 2 more soon to come on as their loans are full funded). (Sorry the photos are grainy… they are low resolution on my portfolio page).

Clara from Kenya

Earn Lot from Cambodia

Maria M from Eucador

Maria R from Eucador

Marilou from the Philippines

Rose from Kenya



Here’s what Kiva say about themselves…
Why we do what we do 
We envision a world where all people - even in the most remote areas of the globe - hold the power to create opportunity for themselves and others.
We believe providing safe, affordable access to capital to those in need helps people create better lives for themselves and their families. 
How we do it
Making a loan on Kiva is so simple that you may not realize how much work goes on behind the scenes.
Kiva works with microfinance institutions on five continents to provide loans to people without access to traditional banking systems. One hundred percent of your loan is sent to these microfinance institutions, which we call Field Partners, who administer the loans in the field.
Kiva relies on a worldwide network of over 450 volunteers who work with our Field Partners, edit and translate borrower stories, and ensure the smooth operation of countless other Kiva programs.
How we're funded
100% of every dollar you lend on Kiva goes directly towards funding loans; Kiva does not take a cut. Furthermore, Kiva does not charge interest to our Field Partners, who administer the loans.
Kiva is primarily funded through the support of lenders making optional donations. We also raise funds through grants, corporate sponsors, and foundations.
We are incredibly thankful for the support that has enabled us to do the work that has touched the lives of so many people.”
~~~~
Now here is your opportunity.  A donor has given an amount to Kiva to be used towards giving new people a chance to make one $25 loan ‘on them’.  It would be a fantastic opportunity to teach a child about world issues, finances, and compassion.
If you are interested, click on this link to check it out…
I get nothing from this except the joy and satisfaction of knowing that more people are being helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.